Thursday, March 6, 2014

It's Good to Have Carpenters as Friends-Building the Dock Shed

Well spent all last weekend building the shed on the dock.  On Friday, I finished the deck and the floor of the shed. The first screw up was the lumber supplier only sent us enough lumber for 2 walls.  My two best friends showed up to help me in this endeavor, Ron and Jerry.  Ron laid out the design and walls, Jerry cut the lumber and I got to hammer in each and every nail! By the end of the day we had the four walls up and two rafters. 

I then cooked a very nice T-bone steak for my friends.

Sunday I noticed the shed leaning.  This was our second mistake. It would seem I under estimated the weight of the shed on the floats.  It was so bad, we could work safely.  So I had two barrels left, sunk them in the back and then put air in them.  It helped a lot, but it was still leaning.  Getting additional floatation under the shed just became a priority.  I called a guy in St. Helens and he will be coming out later this week to look at it.

We started our day with calm conditions and we assembled and Ron put up the rest of the rafters.  We then places OSB on the roof and covered it with a special plastic.  While we were stapling this down Kay screams at Ron and I to hold on!  Hugh waves came crashing in which rocked the dock and the shed with us up on top.  I am scared of heights anyway and I just about started crying and those waves hit us.  We think they came from a cargo ship in the main channel of the Columbia which was going a bit too fast.  We started to put the metal roof on and by this time it was raining and blowing and got too dangerous to continue.

Then we had 2 full days of rain.  On Wednesday I crawled up on the roof with PFD and rope and placed 3 more panels before I got a little scared being there by myself.  Yep Kay found out and chewed me a good one.  So Ron shows up the next day, yep by him self and finishes the roof.  Kay didn't chew on him....mmmm

We need to o some touch up, trim and I bought a electrical panel to install this weekend.  Once I get the inside done with electric and water, we can move in the washer and dryer and officially move on to the boat!!!

With the high water we are getting trees like this coming down river.


Working on the floor.  For those back east, look I am wearing short sleeves!


Putting the last of the deck material on

High water


Our supply....for only two walls.  Not happy with Clats lumber



To keep the moister from coming up through the floor, I put roofing felt down, then tyveck plastic over that.


Ron scoping out the first wall


Teaching Kay about carpentry....

Floor done

Ramp is almost level


Nailing the first wall


This was hard on the ol' back....

That looks about right!


OMG I am getting old!  Druppy drawers! 

First window going in




Looking good

Installing 6 inch lag bolts to hold it all together

Cutting under cover.  It is the PNW with liquid sunshine

Second wall up!  Starting to look like a shed

Construction zone

Tommy (Jerry's Cousin) and Jerry


Who me?  Ponding nails for the third wall


Opps we are a little heavy....

Third wall



Lag bolts.  This wall ain't going no where





Putting siding on


The leaning Hilton!

Nailing the top of the paneling


Leaning more.  Looking real close to the water!

1st rafter


Lining it all up

The roof starting to go on

More rafters.....



Cap't Ron

Getting ready for those T-bones

Hanging the door



End cap


Kay picked out a nice door





Hold it straight!

I am, the building is just leaning!


Installed door

I put some float barrels under the end.  It helped, but still need more


Don't let me hit my finger!

I am trying to hold it level!

That was close, almost fail! 

Old fat man crawling onto the roof!



Nailing roof sheeting on....


I hate hights


Haft the roof done




Putting down the tyveck, then the metal roofing panels



Did I mention I hate hights

Stapling it all down


Brother Jerry!  Blue roof panels

Tommy

Ron

First roof panel going on

Almost done, but lots of work inside


Nice and dry!  Roof on



The Homestead!

No comments:

Post a Comment