Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Jones Island State Marine Park

3 days in civilization was enough.  We had heard about Jones Island from our friends so we thought we would check it out.  It is 7.5 miles from Friday Harbor and the north side of the island has a small bay and a dock.  Getting there was a short 45 minute ride.  As we rounded the corner on the north end the USCG was waiting.  Boarding and Checking people's boats.  I made sure to pass them on my port.  They saw I already had a safety inspection sticker and they waved and gave me a thumbs up.

As we approached the bay we got real lucky and a spot opened up at the dock, so we tied up and there were only 3 other boats here.  We found out later that folks tend to rotate in and out of the bay all day.  The island has a trail that goes all the way around, so off we went on our first hike.  We found a few beaches made of small gravel.  Kay went sea glass hunting and was able to find some.  This is a wonderful island with old growth ciders, grass and lots of birds.  There is also a resident black tail deer population here.  As we walked the west side of the island we found a perfect spot to bring our chairs back for a sunset.

Later that evening with chair, drink and cigar we sat on this rock out crop to gather in the sunset.  The swallows were busy eating bugs, we could hear bees in the background and song birds everywhere.  I was warm and bright.  Then all of a sudden we heard a stick break, turned around and a deer had walked up on us, not more than a few feet away.  He figured we were not a threat to him so he stuck around for a while eating grass.  The one thing we did notice here was how dry the ground was here.  Kay and I both wondered where the deer got drinking water from.  Then we were entertained but an awesome sunset.

The next day as we were running the generation, I notice water in the bilge.  I opened up the generator panels to find sea water in the bottom of the pan.  So I had to unpack everything, and remove the sound shield.  I found a rubber 90 degree hose that was rotten and leaking.  I couldn't believe I missed that on my inspection and maintenance I had performed on it a few months back, dang I was mad at myself.  I called NW Cummins in Seattle and they had one and overnighted it to Friday Harbor.  Oh well better to be broke down here than in the northern wilderness with no access to parks, so back to Friday harbor we go for a few more days.  I had a few other things I wanted to do anyway.

Dock side



North Bay of Jones Island


Kay loves flowers

Odd growths on this tree

If this old tree could talk the stories it would tell.


Sea glass heaven....

This pine was putting out all this sap.  I wonder why, is the tree sick?

Someone had a lot of time on their hands

Not sure what kind of trees these are.  Myrtle wood maybe?



On the south side of the island there are these small shacks with 4 bunk beds in them for campers

Some how the plant that was on the ground manage to start new in the crack of the bark



Kay found this rock that looks like a turtle shell


Our sunset view later







Finding the generator leak


We had this otter wondering around






Good Night all!


No comments:

Post a Comment