Saturday, August 12, 2017

Ketch Again!


The marinas are getting full!  The fishing boats are gone out chasing fish, but all the south bound cruisers are stopping over before heading into Canada.

With the windlass on order and 2 days left with my daughter Sam, we hit the streets of Ketch to become tourist.  Sam had never been to Ketch, so this was all new to her.  For us, we have spent so much time here we could almost become residence….

The next day Sam packed her backpack and her now new bay full of hats and tee shirts for the flight back to Anchorage.  We had a great time and got to know each other a little bit more.  It was wonderful and I can’t wait until I can see her again.

Did I tell you we had a windlass on order?  Yep I did.  Got it from UPS and Maxwell sent me the WRONG ONE!!!!  I tell you if I didn’t have bad luck….

So, Maxwell and Defender marine are on the east coast.  So I woke at 3:30 in the morning to find out what happed.  This time I talked to a tech rep and described the Maxwell-Nilsson V1000 which I have on the boat.  He immediately told me that the one I was sent was much smaller and the direct replacement was a VWC 3500.  Wished I could have talked to this guy last week instead of the lady that helped me.  By noon Maxwell FedExed me a VWC 3500 with a return shipping tag for the wrong one they sent me.  Today is Saturday and the new one is sitting in Anchorage waiting to get flown to Ketch.  Problem is they don’t work on the weekends, so it is due in here Monday afternoon. 

My luck.  I told John not to wait on me and head south before the weather window closed... He declined and is staying here with us.  Today the weather window slammed shut and the wind is blowing 22mph and expecting 2.5 inches of rain.  Looks like it will be like this all week.  Dang luck.

What do you do when you are waiting?  Fish…..  John and I were pretty successful with a few pinks and good Coho salmon.  We visited Saxon and looked the totem poles with their associated stories, then dinner and a beer or two at the Artic Bar.

Windlass Mount

Dead after 29 years








Have no idea...I am sure adult drinks were involved


Yep that is 40 feet of chain


The fish killing machine




 

No comments:

Post a Comment