Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Windlass

The old windlass lasted for 29 years.  It gave up on us in Klu Bay and I had to pull the last 40 feet of chain and a 77lb anchor by hand.  Really sucked.

As we rounded the corner heading to Ketch, I called Maxwell Marine and asked if they had a direct replacement for this old V-1000.  They said yes and it was the VWC-1000.  Great!  Be here in Katch in 5 days.  So we wait.  The new windlass arrives and when I looked at the parts, it looked too small!  It was WAY too small.

I called Maxwell back and asked what gives, the VWC was not a direct replacement.  The lady on the phone sent me to a technician.  When I told him what happened, he said no way was the VWC 1000 was a direct replacement.  We talked for a while and he told me I needed the VWC 3500.  With the exception of having to enlarge the center hole to 5 inches, everything should drop in place.  Great so we wait another 5 days.  By this time our weather window had closed to cross Dixon Entrance into Canada.  A huge storm has blown in with small craft advisory, 30kt winds and sideway rain.

John and I drilled the 5 inch hole and when I went to drop the shaft collar in, the hole was too small by 1/8 of an inch.  Well crap.  First thing in the morning in the rain and wind, I had to use a rasp to open this hole that was 5" big and 5" deep!  Did I say it was windy and raining? 

Took me a few hours, buy I got the hole opened up and it took about 2 hours to finish the install.  Runs great, so far.

So here we wait until the next weather window, possibly Saturday..........

May she RIP


New windlass parts

Drilling the 5" hole



John is drilling and I am stupper vising...

Taking a chisel and knocking out the hole


My turn to drill.  You had to watch this drill as it would beat you up if you were not careful.


New windlass being installed

new motor and gear box

Mission accomplished

No comments:

Post a Comment