Monday, June 6, 2016

Chapter 12 Powell River to Prideaux Haven

We left Westview Marina (Powell River) early in the morning as I did not want to leave at low tide.  This is a marina I would not recommend for any boat over 30ft.

As we turned north a ferry was also leaving and boy does that horn scare the you know what out of you.  We had a small NW wind with ripples with a warm sunshine. The 35 miles to our next destination has probably been our best so far.  As you turn the corner into Desolation Sound the mountains just jump right at you!   WOW.

As we got near to Prideaux Haven I was looking for a very small channel into the anchorage.  It was another lazy "S." I was surprised by how small the anchorage actually was.  There were already 8 boats in here and it seemed crowded.  However, I am told this place can hold many more boats stern tied to the sides.  We also found some folks we had met at Princess Louisa here.  Once anchored Kay and I dumped the dinghy and went to explore. 

We met a couple from Portland, Mike and Heidi.  Later that afternoon they showed up with fresh spotted shrimp for the bbq! One thing I had forgotten to do was to take the tide change into account. 20+ change, so I let out some more chain.  All the while 4 more boats showed up in the anchorage.

Later that evening, Kay and I were sitting on the bow when this older lady starts screaming from her boat "Shut off your generator!"  Huh?  What a witch.  I asked Kay if she was doing laundry and she said no so I went ahead and killed the genny.  Now for those who know my boat, unless you are right at the port stern, you can not hear my genny.  It does smoke a little but nothing that would bother you even if I were at the dock.  Others were running their gennies at the other end of the anchorage and I could hear them above mine! She must be one of those that don't believe running their gensets while on the hook.  They also have a new boat.  Kay got a little upset by it and wanted to tell her where to go.

Later that evening Kay came out on the bow with a hummingbird in her hands.  I was trapped in the sunroom.  After a posing for a few camera shots, it flew away!  As sunset can it was cooling off nicly as it was 84f today.  Warmer tomorrow.

Today June 5th it is hot. 88f by this afternoon.  I took a shrimp pot out and used a bait that looks like dog food nuggets and then you squirt this juice on it that looks like hot sauce! Let it soak for about 6 hours and see if I get lucky.  I am in about 350ft of water, I think.  Wal-Mart list: small cheap depth sounder with a motor cycle battery.....

This is a nice place with peace and quiet and sometimes cranky neighbors. We will come here again, but maybe not July or August.


Our moorage

To the right of the rock is the entrance to this wonderful place.  Nice clear water


Entrance Channel



This yacht entering the bay

Not very wide





Kay love sea life


Oysters, but I would eat them




On our way to Prideaux Haven.  This is looking across Straitss of Georgia with the Vancouver Island snow capped mountains


Lots of rocks out here


Prideau on the right by the small island


Showing club pride



Approaching the entrance



The entrance channel at low tide

Evening time 10:30 PM!!!  Good Night All!

No comments:

Post a Comment