Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Chapter 13 Prideaux Haven to Von Donop

The run to Von Donop was a short 15 mile ride.  We knew about the "rock" in the middle of the channel leading into Von Donop so that had us a little concerned.  We turned into Lewis Channel, I couldn't believe my eyes!  It looked like a freeway. All kinds of boats heading up the channel. Sail boats, big yachts, little yachts.  There was this tug (small boat) that was painted green and yellow from back east some where and it was name "Zucchini!"  We rounded the top of Cortes Island and headed  up the channel toward the famous rock.

Kay was on the bow looking, I was going dead slow  and stayed as far starboard as I could.  The chart showed the rock passing and we didn't hear a thump so we made it!  The inlet was two miles long. At the end was a nice lagoon with two other boats.  We had the place to ourselves! Since we were early we decided to go to shore and hike to the town of Squirrel Cove.  It was 10k round trip, which didn't seem that far. First I had to get out of the dinghy before hitting shore was it was shallow, so my tennis shoes were soaking wet with salt water.  The trail through the "forest" was like walking in a jungle with 7 foot ferns where you could hardly see the trail.  We finally made the road. With 3k behind us, we looked at the road. 2K straight down hill!  Crap.  Well we were told folks normally stop and offer you a ride.  No such luck.

Made the store and I bought a 6-pack of bottled beer and some scotch and Kay got some bread and other small items.  Oh and some ice cream sandwiches to eat on the way back.  So off we go.  My pack is heavy and Kay, well not so much.  I was also carrying all the water.  2K up hill SUCKS!!!!  I almost pucked my ice cream sandwiches up.  It was about 80f and sunny.  Where the heck is the cars that would pick you up anyway??  They ain't happening either....By the time we got back to the forest, it didn't seem as bad as it was when we hiked the other way!  Getting back to the dinghy was awesome and I could care less about the salt water.  Back on the boat, we cranked the generator and turned the A/C on.  We will NEVER NEVER do that again.  I must say the beer tasted good later that evening.


The next day we pulled anchor, made around the "rock" and headed to the 3 famous rapids, "Yuculta, Gillard and Dent.

Entrance to Von Donop  Fishing there on the wall


For DYC

The Fern Forest

Yep no takers

You can barely see me! Where are the wolves?  I would never know until I was their dinner







We had to go down the left side as there was a BIG rock in the center

Where is that dang rock?

Towing the dinghy.  That is 100 feet

Lewis Channel




This is a tidal rapids.  We didn't go there

This is a log tow! So many logs we couldn't get them all in the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment