Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Chapter 14 The Rapids/Shoal Bay

Today we were only going about 25 miles from Von Donop to Shoal Bay,  but between here and there you must pass through 3 water "rapids" Yuculta, Gillard and Dent to get to the other side.  It is only a span of about 4 miles from beginning to end.  This route is known as the "Inside Route."  The rapids can be very dangerous if you try to navigate them when they are running full speed.  These rapids are produced by the strong currents and tidal affects created by narrow channels and the cross roads of inlets.

I had timed it so when we left Von Donop, we would arrive at Yuculta about an 30 minutes early.  We arrived an hour early.  Going north you want to time it so you hit Gillard, the middle rapid at slack tide.  My calculations showed I should start my run at 1:30 PM and that would put me at Gillard near or at slack.  This guy in a Grand Banks calls me on the radio to find out information on my boat.  We were just sitting there waiting for the right time to go.  He also tells me that he has done these rapids several times and that 1:30 was too early.  OK I can follow someone who has knowledge here.  Great, I am a happy camper.  He was thinking 1:45 to 1:50 pm to start.  Then he calls me on the radio.  I "felt" the current changing we are going now.  Mmm I thought to myself he can feel the current change?  Well it was 1:30 on the nose and my figures were right after all.  We made it through Yuculta with no worries, but we were just a bit early at Gillard and there was a lot of current.  I just bumped the throttles up a bit, the props dug in and we were OK.  By the time we hit Dent, it was flat dead calm, slack.  Wow I not a rapids virgin anymore.  Also the scenery changed dramatically.  Gone were these small low laying islands that gave way to huge valley and mountains with snow caps.

We made Shoal Bay about 45 minutes later.  Some fine folks moved their boats around to where we could tie up at the government dock.  Life was good.

Entering the bottom of Yuculta Rapids.  We sat here floating around waiting for the right time.

Gillard Rapids

Dent Rapids.  A lot of Current here

Dent Rapids

Made it!!!

 
Powering through

Walkway Shoal Bay

The "pouring" deck!  Bring your own food

Shoal Bay Dock with Phillips Arm in the background

Food and new friends

The Garden


Hey DYC



No comments:

Post a Comment